Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
SearchSearch CalendarCalendar GalleryGalleryAuction-PortalAuctions GlobalGlobal Top-ListTopMembersMembers StatisticsStats
get your RSS-Feed
Language/Sprache:  Admin  
 Login: ChatChat (0) new User-MapUser-Mapsend Passwordsend Password RegisterRegister

Forum Overview » Misc Forum » Misc Forum » Don't ImitateThe Faceless Kid With The Guitar
Pages: (1) [1] »
Registration necessaryRegistration necessary
Don't ImitateThe Faceless Kid With The Guitar
foxielyricsno Access no Access first Post cannot be deleted -> delete the whole Topic 
Group: Administrator
Level: Top Dog

IP-Address: saved

Most people under-price themselves. They don't know just how valuable their services are to their employers. Their employers have no incentive to tell them.

Most people don't think about additional income streams that their services can generate. Amazingly, this is also true of most small businessmen.

I saw this in action over the weekend. I watched someone walk away from probably $100,000 -- and maybe a lot more. Why? Because he forgot to set up a website with a mailing list option. He was just playing around -- literally. He did not foresee what was about to happen.

But, then again, nobody could have foreseen it. Nobody really understands just how revolutionary the Web is.

BECOMING A WORLDWIDE PHENOMENON IN 34 HOURS

A friend sent me a link to a document on Friday, March
17. I clicked. I did not find the document. Instead, I found a bunch of home videos.

It was about 7:40 p.m.

One of the videos caught my attention. It had just been posted. It had been viewed by fewer than 200 people. I clicked the link. I watched the video. I sat there, stunned.

I sent out my first e-mail with a link to that video at 8:03. I had sent ten more by 8:15.

As it turned out, I was not alone.

The video was made by a teenager. He sits in front of a camcorder in his bedroom. He is holding an electric guitar. He has a baseball cap on. He is looking down at his guitar. You can't see his face at any point in the video: just a faceless, nameless kid.

Then he begins to play, accompanied by an invisible back-up band. For the next five minutes, he performs Pachelbel's Canon in a way that Pachelbel would hardly believe, were he alive today. Maybe the performance would kill him.

I posted an article about this video on Friday evening, where I discussed free Web sites that post people's home videos. Little did I suspect what was about to happen.

When I checked back to watch that video again on Sunday morning, March 19, at 6:45 a.m., the number of views was approaching one million.

One million! In 34 hours!!

All over the Web on Saturday, people were receiving e- mail letters with links to that video in their mailboxes. They watched. Then they sent out that link to their friends.

I call this word of mouse.

But this was word of mouse on a scale that I had never personally seen it before, although I have written about this phenomenon for years. I wrote about what the kid had done on-screen before I knew what the kid was about to become: a worldwide phenomenon. See for yourself:

now . . . the video!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjA5faZF1A8

3/21/2006 11:15:17 PM    
Registration necessaryRegistration necessary
Pages: (1) [1] »